Tere

For English-speaking visitors :) Welcome !

Moderaator: Moded

Teema algataja
Sibbo

Tere

Lugemata postitus Postitas Sibbo »

Tere everyone, ma ei räägi eesti keelt. So I will have to write in english, lucky this is the english section :D

This is my first post, so a big hello to everyone.

The reason for an Aussi posting on an Estonian forum is because I am travelling to Estonia this year in July and August and am looking for a bit of advice on things to do, etc.

One even I would like a bit of information about is the Estonian Bike Weekend 2007 (Korraldaja: Piratica MC) http://www.piratica.ee. I have looked at the website and it seems like a bit of fun and was just wondering if anyone here has been to past shows and if they enjoyed it or not.

Other than that, I will do the usual tourist things for two weeks or so. Is there anything that I wont find on the tourist websites that is really interesting/traditionally Estonian (not the tourist "traditional" stuff)?

tänan väga

Kasutaja avatar

manager2

Lugemata postitus Postitas manager2 »

Hey,

welcome to Biker forums...

If you anywhere near Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne, we could grab a beer and talk about Estonia and the summer we have, sometimes during next three weeks, because Im coming to Aussie land... :)
THESE FEW MINUTES ON THE TRACK… YOU LIVE MORE THAN SOME PEOPLE DURING THEIR LIFETIME

Teema algataja
Sibbo

manager2 kirjutas:
If you anywhere near Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne, we could grab a beer and talk about Estonia and the summer we have, sometimes during next three weeks, because Im coming to Aussie land... :)
I am in Melbourne, what dates do you plan on being there?

And beer sounds like a great idea :D
Kasutaja avatar

manager2

...Melbourne area 5-10 march. actually 6th and 7th in Phillip Island some track days in Californian Superbike School :). other then that, everything is open. no plans.
THESE FEW MINUTES ON THE TRACK… YOU LIVE MORE THAN SOME PEOPLE DURING THEIR LIFETIME

Teema algataja
Sibbo

Fantastic.

I will try to arrange a few things to do. Can I assume you have a bike to ride while you are here (other than the track day)?
Kasutaja avatar

manager2

Sibbo kirjutas:
Fantastic.

I will try to arrange a few things to do. Can I assume you have a bike to ride while you are here (other than the track day)?
...actually not. just a rental car. as for future communication, send me an e-mail to manager2@solo.ee or personal message in this forum (ES)

see you
Kasutaja avatar

mella
Tänatud: 1 kord

Re: Tere

Lugemata postitus Postitas mella »

Sibbo kirjutas:
One even I would like a bit of information about is the Estonian Bike Weekend 2007 (Korraldaja: Piratica MC) http://www.piratica.ee. I have looked at the website and it seems like a bit of fun and was just wondering if anyone here has been to past shows and if they enjoyed it or not.
You can find MC events from calendar on main page of Biker.ee.

one week before Piratica is "Pärnu Kuningas" in Pärnu. Great motocross show.
2 weeks after is "Jõgevatreff" - biggest meeting in Estonia. But boring, as all such big meetings usually ;)
Kasutaja avatar

Piipz
Soe ja sõbralik
Tsikkel: V-Strom 1050DE
Tänanud: 126 korda
Tänatud: 325 korda
Kontakt:

Lugemata postitus Postitas Piipz »

Hi.

The Estonian Bike Weekend was first organized in 2006 and didn't gather much people. I wouldn't recommend this for the person who wants it to be his first meeting in Estonia.
Actually the organizing was great but not many people arrived because of too many other meetings took place at the same time. Maybe this year it will be better. It was fun though, but it is always fun to be with your friends, regardless of the place youre at.

Im not sure what will happen this year, but If you want to meet more people for sure, you should be visiting Jõgevatreff instead, which will take place 150km from capital city and will happen in 26.07. - 29.07 of 2007.
http://www.jogevamc.ee/tref_est.html <<about jõgevatreff (in estonian)
If you need more information, then contact "jogevamc at jogevamc.ee"
  • Kontakt: ES või piipz (ät) biker.ee / tel 58413942

Teema algataja
Sibbo

http://www.jogevamc.ee/tref_eng.html Is a link in English for Jõgevatreff if any other non-Esti (is this correct use of the language?) speaking people.

Unfortunatly I will miss both Jõgevatreff and Pärnu Kuningas, as the dates I will be in Estonia are 10th to the 25th of July. :cry:

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. :D
Kasutaja avatar

Piipz
Soe ja sõbralik
Kontakt:

Then it looks like it's going to be your first choise, the Estonian Bike Weekend. We'll meet you there ;)

oma_jope

Lugemata postitus Postitas oma_jope »

Sibbo kirjutas:
link in English for Jõgevatreff if any other non-Esti (is this correct use of the language?) speaking people.
understandable (in this context) but not correct though. "Non-estonian..." sounds a bit better to me...
Kronreif, Trunkenpolz ja Mattighofen ruulivad

Teema algataja
Sibbo

oma_jope kirjutas:
understandable (in this context) but not correct though. "Non-estonian..." sounds a bit better to me...
Tänan, for quick Estonian lessen. :wink:
Piipz kirjutas:
Then it looks like it's going to be your first choise, the Estonian Bike Weekend. We'll meet you there ;)
Fantastic, so who is going?

A general question about the level of English spoken (understood with an Australian accent!) by Estonians. Will I be able to get around with simple phrases such as, tere, head aega, jah, ei, tänan, palun, and the important one, "ma ei räägi eesti keelt". I think this will also get used quite often "ma ei saa aru"!!

Or will I need to lean more Estonian than the basics?

unlimited
Tsikkel: Kawasaki EN500

Lugemata postitus Postitas unlimited »

Just talk with younger people, most of them can speak English easily. Elderly people in Estonia can speak Russian or Estonian mainly.
Those words you described will probably be enough.
Mopeed V-50 - Dirtbike-110cc - GasGas SM50 - Honda CBR125R - Kawasaki EN500

Teema algataja
ciim

Lugemata postitus Postitas ciim »

You should also learn following:

üks õlu palun ( one beer please) or

kaks õlut palun ( two beers please) :twisted:
Kasutaja avatar

Piipz
Soe ja sõbralik
Kontakt:

Actually it's not even that dramatic (about older people not speaking english). Im 100% sure you will survive even if you speak english only.

Im sure a lot of people will ride to the Piratica MC event from Tallinn (biker.ee people also) and they will probably help you to get there.

But if you want to learn more estonian - You speaking a few estonian words just looks a lot cooler :P
Kasutaja avatar

CB500

Lugemata postitus Postitas CB500 »

Hello Sibbo, I think also, you probably wont have any problems, if you speak english.

Just curiosity, what shall you be riding here? do you have a europe tour?
it's a honda. ride it like you stole it, change the oil once in a while. enjoy.

oma_jope

Lugemata postitus Postitas oma_jope »

Sibbo kirjutas:
A general question about the level of English spoken (understood with an Australian accent!) by Estonians.
Or will I need to lean more Estonian than the basics?
that depends on how dramatic your accent is. If your "opponent" looks too confused after your "australian", I suggest you repeat yourself holding back your accent as much as you can :)

Also, I share the curiosity of CB500 - how come that you choosed our country for visit? And I hope you don't mind a small advice for Europe travel: a knife, as Paul Hogan carries in Dundee movie, might get you in trouble at the airport...
Viimati muutis oma_jope, 27 Veebr 2007, 16:24, muudetud 1 kord kokku.
Kronreif, Trunkenpolz ja Mattighofen ruulivad
Kasutaja avatar

Piipz
Soe ja sõbralik
Kontakt:

I might be able to answer that:

We have the most beautiful women on earth and Australia is almost the furthest country from here :P So its like travelling around the world.

Teema algataja
Sibbo

unlimited kirjutas:
Just talk with younger people, most of them can speak English easily. Elderly people in Estonia can speak Russian or Estonian mainly.
Those words you described will probably be enough.
That’s good to know.
ciim kirjutas:
You should also learn following:

üks õlu palun ( one beer please) or
kaks õlut palun ( two beers please) :twisted:
You know me very well!!! Do I drink Saku? What do you recommend? http://www.beerguide.ee/estyld.html
Piipz kirjutas:
Actually it's not even that dramatic (about older people not speaking english). Im 100% sure you will survive even if you speak english only.

Im sure a lot of people will ride to the Piratica MC event from Tallinn (biker.ee people also) and they will probably help you to get there.

But if you want to learn more estonian - You speaking a few estonian words just looks a lot cooler :P
It would be fantastic if I could get some help getting to the Piratica MC event, as it could be a bit difficult for me on my first time to Estonia.

From what I have read, although many Estonian’s can speak English, you will be more welcomed if you try to speak Estonian to start with, as it is more polite. The last thing I want to do is be like a loud drunk English person on a bucks weekend, as I think that the English are the Americans of Europe, loud and obnoxious.
CB500 kirjutas:
Hello Sibbo, I think also, you probably wont have any problems, if you speak english.

Just curiosity, what shall you be riding here? do you have a europe tour?
I wont be riding anything, well I might hire a bike from the Estonian bike hire company I found on the web. They have naked bikes and a few adventure/big trail bikes. But I don’t know how strict the police are on speeding, don’t know the roads, don’t have my gear, so it might not be the smartest thing I could do.

I don’t have an organised tour, I am just travelling on my own through Estonia and then to Austria to meet a friend who lives there and seeing Austria and the surrounding countries, then back home.
oma_jope kirjutas:
that depends on how dramatic your accent is. If your "opponent" looks too confused after your "australian", I suggest you repeat yourself holding back your accent as much as you can :)

Also, I share the curiosity of CB500 - how come that you choosed our country for visit? And I hope you don't mind a small advice for Europe travel: a knife, as Paul Hogan carries in Dundee movie, might get you in trouble at the airport...
I have no hope of being understood, as I think my accent is quite strong and I don’t know how to turn it off. I might have to resort to just pointing and smiling a lot, like a Japanese tourist!!!

I am going to Estonia because that is where my Grandfather was born, so I am very curious too see the country and the people.

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to leave my knife at home! hahahaha

Piipz kirjutas:
I might be able to answer that:

We have the most beautiful women on earth and Australia is almost the furthest country from here :P So its like travelling around the world.
I have heard that Estonian women are the most beautiful in the world and I am very keen to find out if that is true! I hope they like Aussi guys that can’t speak Estonian, or speak more than “kaks õlut palun”.

You also have relatively cheep beer and friendly people on bike forums!
Kasutaja avatar

CB500

Do you know, there your grandfather lived?
Have you decided, what places are you going to visit?

If you really want to ride a bike here, then they http://www.fennek.ee/?p=1 can give you gear for free, if you rent a bike from this company. I cannot commend the quality/guantity of the gear. So far it´s the only bike-rental company in estonia.
We don´t have as much great twisty roads as there is example at italy or austria, but riding is enjoyable here too if the weather is sunny and warm. Should be, then you are coming here, but could be rainy also. Sometimes we have here about 10-15 degrees celsius almost until the end of june, add rain too, -thats what we call "shitty skiing wheather"- s**t suusailm :) instead the real summer. The traffic is here probably one of the worse in europe at least if not the world, riding in italy seemed much safer to me than riding in estonia.

Teema algataja
Sibbo

CB500 kirjutas:
Do you know, there your grandfather lived?
Somewhere, but I dont remember of the top of my head. My mother knows, but I would have to ask her. I shall let you know tomorrow.
CB500 kirjutas:
Have you decided, what places are you going to visit?
No. I want to visit everywhere :D I will do some more research on where I want to go. Everyone, feel free to make suggestions of what I should see, as I think you know Estonia a little better than I do. :lol:
That is the website that I saw as well.
CB500 kirjutas:
if the weather is sunny and warm. Should be, then you are coming here, but could be rainy also. Sometimes we have here about 10-15 degrees celsius almost until the end of june, add rain too, -thats what we call "shitty skiing wheather"- s*** suusailm :) instead the real summer.
Sounds like you have similar weather to Melbourne. We have 4 seasons in one day, Warm and sunny, then rain and cold, then windy, then warm and sunny, then rain again. It can be crazy, the weather can not make up its mind!
CB500 kirjutas:
The traffic is here probably one of the worse in europe at least if not the world, riding in italy seemed much safer to me than riding in estonia.
:shock: I might stick to catching public transport or using cars.
Kasutaja avatar

CB500

Sibbo kirjutas:
CB500 kirjutas:
The traffic is here probably one of the worse in europe at least if not the world, riding in italy seemed much safer to me than riding in estonia.
:shock: I might stick to catching public transport or using cars.
:D Don´t be so scared, that´s just my opinion, I am not a fan of our public transport either.. ;)
Kasutaja avatar

Piipz
Soe ja sõbralik
Kontakt:

relax, nothing beats riding in italy. I don't really know in what part of italy cb500 has been, but Tallinn is like a childs play compared to Napoli.

I think in that crazy city you can be hit by a car or scooter even if you are at home and sleeping.

Teema algataja
Sibbo

Piipz kirjutas:
I think in that crazy city you can be hit by a car or scooter even if you are at home and sleeping.
:lol: Crazy Italians, but you have to love them.
Kasutaja avatar

kris.
Tänanud: 12 korda
Tänatud: 24 korda

Lugemata postitus Postitas kris. »

When talking about craziest traffic, everybody has he's personal favourites :lol: . My twelve points goes to Paris and especially to the Avenue of the Champs-Elysées that goes around Arch of Triumph! http://www.paris-paris-paris.com/layout ... yout=popup If you suddenly find yourself driving the inner circle and wants to get out from there ... :twisted: .
For Sibbo - have a safe trip to Estonia.

br
Kris.
XVZ-13 TF - Big Blue Light
Riding with a King!

grahv
Tsikkel: GSX1200, XT660R
Tänanud: 7 korda
Tänatud: 69 korda

Lugemata postitus Postitas grahv »

Sibbo kirjutas:
Do I drink Saku? What do you recommend? http://www.beerguide.ee/estyld.html
Depends, what kind of beer you like - light, dark, strong etc. But (my light) favorites are ALeCoq Premium and Saku Rock. Or Saku Rock and ALeCoq Premium :)

And some others:

ALeCoq (Tartu) - Premium, Alexander, Albert, Disel
http://www.alecoq.ee/index.php?action=p ... prod_ID=57
http://www.alecoq.ee/index.php?action=p ... prod_ID=66
http://www.alecoq.ee/index.php?action=p ... rod_ID=211

Saku - Rock, Kuld, Ice
http://www.saku.ee/eng_toode_olu_rock.php
http://www.saku.ee/eng_toode_olu_kuld.php
http://www.saku.ee/eng_toode_olu_ice.php
OK, Taurus too for extra http://www.saku.ee/eng_toode_olu_taurus.php

PS. Probably the most famous beer of estonia is Saku Original http://www.saku.ee/eng_toode_olu_sakuoriginaal.php but... not for me.

If You have time enough, try our islands. (Ferrytables)

Best regards, Grahv @ Hiiumaa

Teema algataja
Sibbo

So many beers, so little time. I will just have to drink more each day! :lol:

I cant wait!!!!!

Mõuki

Lugemata postitus Postitas Mõuki »

Don't be intimidated by the traffic in estonia, just keep your eyes open and you should be fine. I'm sure you'll find riding buddies here too.

As for what to see. I'd recommend going to the islands as grahv suggested, southern Estonia and while in Tallinn checking out the local nightlife and the awesome Old Town.

and hey as a recent student movie in estonia suggest: "Life is an adventure"!
Küsija suu pihta ma ei löö!
________
FJ 1100 -->Kawasaki GPZ 1100

Teema algataja
Sibbo

Well I fly to Europe on the 5th of July and hit Lativa on the 9th, where I will spend a bit of time, before arriving at Tartu for the weekend with everyone here.

Then I need to get to Parnu on the 16th, but I cant find a direct rout, does anyone know of one, or do I need to go to Tallinn then to Parnu?

Also, could I get a few ideas for what I should expect regarding accommodation in Tartu on Sat and Sun night, hotel, hostel, camp (I have no gear) or fall over dunk? :lol:

Thank you and see you all soon.
Kasutaja avatar

spinna

Lugemata postitus Postitas spinna »

Giday!
You should drive Tartu - Viljandi - Pärnu. It is about 2,5 ... 3 h trip.
Suzuki GSX 750 Inazuma
Vasta

Liitu vestlusega

Vestluses osalemiseks pead sa olema motokommuuni liige

Avan konto

Pole veel liige? Pole probleemi, registreeru ja liitu.
Liikmena saad sa ise postitada ja vastata teisetel või tellida endale teavitusi vestluse edenemise kohta.
Kõik siin on tasuta ja võtab vaid minuti. Kohtusi sellega ei kaasne.

Registreeru

Logi sisse

Mine “In English”