Looking to buy in Estonia as a non resident (Australian)

KlemKadiddlehopper

Re: Looking to buy in Estonia as a non resident (Australian)

Lugemata postitus Postitas KlemKadiddlehopper »

Hey Australian dude!
I don't know if my comment will at all be of use to you, but I will relate the story of how I managed to get my
1998 full-dress Hog registered and insured in Tartu. After having bought my rig in Tennessee, I had it air-freighted
on a pallet via SAS from JFK to Helsinki. After about a month I hitched a trailer onto my car and went to pick it up in
Helsinki... I paid 1500 Euro for "taxes" there since it was a used bike. Having arrived back in Tartu with my trailer and
bike, and, after a whole lot of red-tape (since the bike was American-made and did not "conform to Euro standards"), I
was told in Tartu that I would have to have it "INSPECTED" in Helsinki for lack of there being anyone in Estonia who is
capable of certifying the inspection of an American-made bike (the year then was 2007, mind you). A case of the "blind"
leading the blind, if you will.

Frustrated, I again put my Hog onto my trailer and towed it to Finland where, after searching through half of Helsinki, I finally found
the inspection station where they had a qualified auto/motorcycle inspector for US bikes. He looked at it and took a spin on it
around the inspection station's yard and then issued me a document with which I returned to Tartu and submitted it to the capable
"authorities" (called ARK here, or Estonia's Auto Registration Bureau). By now I was fuming, you can well imagine, but managed to still
keep some degree of calm in the hopes of finally being able to put my Hog on the road here.

I don't remember all of the further details and hassles I had to go through, including getting the bike insured, etc., but I
can tell you that (in 2007) the process of registering my bike was nothing less that a friggan hassle!
I've had my Hog on the road since 2007 and have had my share of comments from both the fuzz and others.

Hoping that, firstly, things in Estonia have become more civilized in the meantime and, that the info which you have received about
registering your bike here is factual, I can only wish you a whole lot of luck. Inshallah, as they say elsewhere.

Cheers!
Erwin (Alias KlemKadiddlehopper)
Tartu, Estonia May 6th, 2020

Liitu vestlusega

Vestluses osalemiseks pead sa olema motokommuuni liige

Avan konto

Pole veel liige? Pole probleemi, registreeru ja liitu.
Liikmena saad sa ise postitada ja vastata teisetel või tellida endale teavitusi vestluse edenemise kohta.
Kõik siin on tasuta ja võtab vaid minuti. Kohtusi sellega ei kaasne.

Registreeru

Logi sisse

Mine “In English”