Looking to buy in Estonia as a non resident (Australian)

For English-speaking visitors :) Welcome !

Moderaator: Moded

Teema algataja
spicy_stew
Tänanud: 6 korda

Looking to buy in Estonia as a non resident (Australian)

Lugemata postitus Postitas spicy_stew »

Hello, sorry if this is the wrong place to post I am having trouble using google translate to navigate the forum.

As the post title says I am looking to buy a motorcycle in Estonia as I have read on other forums that it is the easiest country in Europe to purchase. I believe that you need someone who has an Estonian citizenship and address to be responsible for you and act as a representative? If anyone can explain this to me and give me some suggestions on how to achieve this purchase I would greatly appreciate it. I am planning on leaving some time in April and heading into Russia.

Tere, vabandust, kui see pole õige koht postitamiseks. Mul on foorumis navigeerimiseks probleeme Google'i tõlkega.

Nagu postituse pealkirjas öeldakse, otsin mootorratta ostmist Eestist, kuna olen teistest foorumitest lugenud, et see on kõige lihtsam riik Euroopasse osta. Ma usun, et vajate kedagi, kellel on Eesti kodakondsus ja aadress, et teie eest vastutada ja esindajana tegutseda? Kui keegi oskab seda mulle seletada ja mulle mõned soovitused selle ostu saavutamiseks pakub, oleksin selle üle väga tänulik. Plaanin lahkuda aprillis mõnda aega ja suunduda Venemaale.

Kasutaja avatar

claw
Tsikkel: pilusilm ja venelane
Tänanud: 82 korda
Tänatud: 78 korda

Re: Looking to buy in Estonia as a non resident (Australian)

Lugemata postitus Postitas claw »

You don't need to use google translate here, it will only make things more complicated. English is extensively known in Estonia.

Are you already familiar with our Maanteeamet's page (our Road Administration service)?
https://www.mnt.ee/eng/vehicle/registra ... gistration

Kasutaja avatar

Piipz
Soe ja sõbralik
Tsikkel: V-Strom 1050DE
Tänanud: 126 korda
Tänatud: 325 korda
Kontakt:

Lugemata postitus Postitas Piipz »

As a non-resident you cannot register the car on your name, but in case you find someone to register the car to, your name can be written in the documents as a user.

It is actually really simple, you just need a friend in here. The cost of new papers is 48 - 130€ (depending on where the car is from and if you need a new license plate). If the friend is IT friendly, then you don't even have to visit the road administration, it can all be done electronically.

• Kontakt: ES või piipz (ät) biker.ee / tel 58413942

Teema algataja
spicy_stew

claw kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 08:03

You don't need to use google translate here, it will only make things more complicated. English is extensively known in Estonia.

Are you already familiar with our Maanteeamet's page (our Road Administration service)?
https://www.mnt.ee/eng/vehicle/registra ... gistration

I will make sure to read it, thanks

Teema algataja
spicy_stew

Piipz kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 08:25

As a non-resident you cannot register the car on your name, but in case you find someone to register the car to, your name can be written in the documents as a user.

It is actually really simple, you just need a friend in here. The cost of new papers is 48 - 130€ (depending on where the car is from and if you need a new license plate). If the friend is IT friendly, then you don't even have to visit the road administration, it can all be done electronically.

okay cool, sound simple enough

eetarga
Tsikkel: Cagiva GC, Aprilia Tuareg
Tänanud: 33 korda
Tänatud: 83 korda
Kontakt:

Lugemata postitus Postitas eetarga »

Hey man, there is a compatriot biker over here in South-Estonia. I guess Ken would give you a helping hand... five6623245 is his cell phone number.
He is loving cold beer, his motorbike and sometimes even his wife... (cheers) :bsmile:

btw. - it is not a problem to registrate a foreign bike over here. If the paperwork is fine (f.e. a former German bike) and it had been registrated in European community before - then the procedure might take less then 30 minutes - and Estonian import and registration is done and you can hit the road. So feel free to sniff around for a second hand bike - for example also in Finland or Latvia.

Heilige Mutter von der gesegneten Beschleunigung, verlaß' uns jetzt nicht!

Teema algataja
spicy_stew

Spoiler
eetarga kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 09:44

Hey man, there is a compatriot biker over here in South-Estonia. I guess Ken would give you a helping hand... five6623245 is his cell phone number.
He is loving cold beer, his motorbike and sometimes even his wife... (cheers) :bsmile:

btw. - it is not a problem to registrate a foreign bike over here. If the paperwork is fine (f.e. a former German bike) and it had been registrated in European community before - then the procedure might take less then 30 minutes - and Estonian import and registration is done and you can hit the road. So feel free to sniff around for a second hand bike - for example also in Finland or Latvia.

Thanks a lot, I am just tossing up between a start in Estonia and Ireland, just looking over the logistics but both look pretty straight forward. I will take a look at the motorcycle market around Estonia and its neighboring countries to get a good idea of what I can find. It is really great to have the contact though so thanks so much!

Kasutaja avatar

Macintosh
Maagia ja nõidumine
Tänanud: 1074 korda
Tänatud: 1046 korda
Kontakt:

Lugemata postitus Postitas Macintosh »

spicy_stew kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 10:31

I will take a look at the motorcycle market around Estonia and its neighboring countries to get a good idea of what I can find.

What kind of bike and in what price bracket are you looking for?

Teema algataja
spicy_stew

Spoiler
Macintosh kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 16:47
spicy_stew kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 10:31

I will take a look at the motorcycle market around Estonia and its neighboring countries to get a good idea of what I can find.

What kind of bike and in what price bracket are you looking for?

I was looking for an adventure bike with a capacity higher than 400 with a price of no more than 2500 euro but preferably more like 2000. Taking a look at the mototehnika website I cant find anything that really fits what I am looking for, I have found a few possible options in Ireland but I wont be buying for a while so its hard to tell what will be available anyway.

eetarga
Tsikkel: Cagiva GC, Aprilia Tuareg
Tänanud: 33 korda
Tänatud: 83 korda
Kontakt:

Lugemata postitus Postitas eetarga »

Hello,
the Estonian market for second hand bikes is tiny. It might be really difficult to find something over here what will match with your needs and expectations. Mainly all older second hand bikes in this pricerange have been imported from Italy, Germany, UK and Dutch in the past. These are the main sources. And if you take this into consideration - then you understand the local price level a little bit better. Just transport to Estonia and first registration, an oilservice and some basic "stuff" - and at least 600,- Euro are gone...

That´s one reason why there is still a demand for an import of second hand bikes.

And then the local market is under a strong influence by saisons. In wintertime a lot of owners are not offering their bike at all - because advertising isn´t for free and also nearly nowbody will react on advertising. Mainly deals are happening in spring...
Ads in wintertime - like now - have mainly two reasons - actual cash demand or just testing the market. And these adds are placed in multimedia where advertising is for free - like this forum or www.soov.ee

Cheers - Christoph

Heilige Mutter von der gesegneten Beschleunigung, verlaß' uns jetzt nicht!
Kasutaja avatar

Frosch
Toetajaliige
Tsikkel: BMW 1200GS Adventure
Tänanud: 5 korda
Tänatud: 12 korda

Lugemata postitus Postitas Frosch »

Also worth cheking facebook marketplace and a group called Tsiklirahvas
And kuldnebors.ee and okidoki.ee
Or auto24.ee (should be the same as mototehnika)
Also have to consider that most of the bikes in that pricerange will also mean that u have to invest couple of hundreds for fixing minor hidden "features" that comes when buying a second hand bike. Strongly advice to look for bike that as been purchased new form Estonia (not imported) and does not have many owners. U can check every bike history that has estonian nr plate from https://eteenindus.mnt.ee/public/soiduk ... ntroll.jsf (top left corner for English)
See how many owners has it been, milage history, is it imported or not etc.

Mini Riga - 160cc Pitrpo - Honda Hornet CB600 F - Yamaha FZ1N - Bmw 1200GS Adventure

Teema algataja
spicy_stew

Spoiler
eetarga kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 17:54

Hello,
the Estonian market for second hand bikes is tiny. It might be really difficult to find something over here what will match with your needs and expectations. Mainly all older second hand bikes in this pricerange have been imported from Italy, Germany, UK and Dutch in the past. These are the main sources. And if you take this into consideration - then you understand the local price level a little bit better. Just transport to Estonia and first registration, an oilservice and some basic "stuff" - and at least 600,- Euro are gone...

That´s one reason why there is still a demand for an import of second hand bikes.

And then the local market is under a strong influence by saisons. In wintertime a lot of owners are not offering their bike at all - because advertising isn´t for free and also nearly nowbody will react on advertising. Mainly deals are happening in spring...
Ads in wintertime - like now - have mainly two reasons - actual cash demand or just testing the market. And these adds are placed in multimedia where advertising is for free - like this forum or www.soov.ee

Cheers - Christoph

Thanks, it might be looking like an easier option to start in Ireland, I found a guy who can prearrange the bike for me so I can leave on a bike as soon as I get there. Ill still keep an eye on the market in Estonia until I do purchase just in case, you guys have been great though!

Kasutaja avatar

AnTyx
Tsikkel: Honda VFR800X Crossrunner
Tänanud: 62 korda
Tänatud: 60 korda

Lugemata postitus Postitas AnTyx »

Piipz kirjutas: 03 Jaan 2020, 08:25

You can definitely register a vehicle in your name as a non-resident, and just have a local in the documents as a user. :)

Source: have been the user for two guys with Israeli passports. A little bit of extra paperwork in person at Saue ARK, but nothing difficult.

SFV650>CBR600F3>VFR800>FZ1S>Crossrunner

KlemKadiddlehopper

Lugemata postitus Postitas KlemKadiddlehopper »

Hey Australian dude!
I don't know if my comment will at all be of use to you, but I will relate the story of how I managed to get my
1998 full-dress Hog registered and insured in Tartu. After having bought my rig in Tennessee, I had it air-freighted
on a pallet via SAS from JFK to Helsinki. After about a month I hitched a trailer onto my car and went to pick it up in
Helsinki... I paid 1500 Euro for "taxes" there since it was a used bike. Having arrived back in Tartu with my trailer and
bike, and, after a whole lot of red-tape (since the bike was American-made and did not "conform to Euro standards"), I
was told in Tartu that I would have to have it "INSPECTED" in Helsinki for lack of there being anyone in Estonia who is
capable of certifying the inspection of an American-made bike (the year then was 2007, mind you). A case of the "blind"
leading the blind, if you will.

Frustrated, I again put my Hog onto my trailer and towed it to Finland where, after searching through half of Helsinki, I finally found
the inspection station where they had a qualified auto/motorcycle inspector for US bikes. He looked at it and took a spin on it
around the inspection station's yard and then issued me a document with which I returned to Tartu and submitted it to the capable
"authorities" (called ARK here, or Estonia's Auto Registration Bureau). By now I was fuming, you can well imagine, but managed to still
keep some degree of calm in the hopes of finally being able to put my Hog on the road here.

I don't remember all of the further details and hassles I had to go through, including getting the bike insured, etc., but I
can tell you that (in 2007) the process of registering my bike was nothing less that a friggan hassle!
I've had my Hog on the road since 2007 and have had my share of comments from both the fuzz and others.

Hoping that, firstly, things in Estonia have become more civilized in the meantime and, that the info which you have received about
registering your bike here is factual, I can only wish you a whole lot of luck. Inshallah, as they say elsewhere.

Cheers!
Erwin (Alias KlemKadiddlehopper)
Tartu, Estonia May 6th, 2020

Vasta

Liitu vestlusega

Vestluses osalemiseks pead sa olema motokommuuni liige

Avan konto

Pole veel liige? Pole probleemi, registreeru ja liitu.
Liikmena saad sa ise postitada ja vastata teisetel või tellida endale teavitusi vestluse edenemise kohta.
Kõik siin on tasuta ja võtab vaid minuti. Kohtusi sellega ei kaasne.

Registreeru

Logi sisse

Mine “In English”